Before We Start,
- If today is your first day of class – please view the blog post from Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (click on the calendar to the right.)
- Make sure that you created a Gmail account, completed the student information sheet, and sent your “learning story” to me. Check your assignment checklist to make sure that I have your submissions. It is shared with you through your Google Drive where you can log on using your Gmail account.
- Make sure you follow the Laptop Check-Out/In Procedure.
- We will continue working on the first foundational activities till January 21 (Monday) creating your portfolio and future classroom plan. If you didn’t, read over the project menu again. I will continue adding details throughout the semester.
1. Finishing up websites
Do you have any questions about your website? There is plenty of time to make changes and improvements throughout the semester. But for now, make sure that your website includes:
- Picture of you
- Short description or list of what you would like to learn this semester
- About Me Page
- 2-3 pictures
- 2-3 links to relevant websites
- 2-3 paragraphs about you
- Blog Postings Page and link to your home page.
- Today we’ll link to our learning story
- For Wednesday, we will also create a post in response to the readings.
2. What Makes Good Blog Postings?
I asked you to read carefully, think deeply, and add details (background, examples, figures, references, and so on) when you work on your projects. Now let’s take a few minutes and brainstorm future criteria for your future postings. Here are some suggestions:Writing great posts; 10 tips for corporate bloggers.
Chalk Talk: Bring up your ideas and draw lines on the board to connect to classmates’ ideas and words to elaborate or express your ideas. You can come to the board more than once. Additionally, what advantages do you see in blogging versus sending responses directly to the instructor? Who is your audience?
*How do you like a chalk talk? For more activities you can use in your future classroom or workplace, check out this great resource for protocols.
3. Sharing Google Sites
Fill out this form so I can access your website, and let’s spend a few minutes sharing our About Me pages.
1. Your Home, About Me, and Blog Postings pages are due Wednesday (1/16/2013). We will continue to share these on Wednesday.
2. Your first readings are due at the beginning of class on Wednesday. Respond to three questions and post your thoughts to your Blog Postings page:
- From your perspective, how do people learn? What are the important processes or factors?
- Which of the skills described in this chapter are most important to you as an educator?
- What is the role of technology in learning? How does technology support learning in classrooms?
This does not need to be a long response – a “reflective” and “engaging” paragraph for each question is fine. You may want to create a figure instead.
3. Make sure to share your portfolio address with me. Once I receive everyone’s address, I’ll make these accessible on our class blog.
4. Start thinking about what audience and subject you’ll be creating activities for this semester. What grade level: PreK-2, 3-5, 6-8, or 9-12? Are you interested in science, speech therapy, special education, mathematics, history . . .?